Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Team America

This idea is for all you webheads out there.... the ones who know how to create great websites and keep them going.

As I was learning about being part of a team in college, I was also listening to our President giving speeches in town hall meetings and thinking deep thoughts. What developed was this:

What if I were to develop a website for my small town to become "Team Miles City"... Persons living in the town could sign up, create a team, post community service goals, recruit volunteers, and (in the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy) "git er done". The purpose of this would be to encourage communities to become proactive in changing their environment.

Example: Sarah is driving down the street and ponders how awful the abandoned gas station looks with all of the weeds growing out of control. Sarah logs into Team Miles City and posts her goal. "I want to make Boxelder Street look better by going to the abandoned gas station and mowing down the weeds. I will undertake this community service at 11 am on Saturday, June 1st, anyone who wants to help is welcome to come."

Sarah does the job, takes before and after pictures, and posts them as a "Goal Accomplished!"

Example: John knows that Old Man Jones is having a hard time and isn't feeling very well these days. He goes to Team Miles City and posts his goal: "I want to help someone who isn't feeling well to feel better, so I am going to make my goal to go and visit him and see if he needs anything twice a week."

John follows through on his commitment and posts a "Goal Accomplished!" something like this: "My friend needed a ride to the store, and I helped him out. This made him feel better because his needs were met and he doesn't have to worry about how it will get done anymore."

Now... We have "Team Miles City", so what if there were a website for "Team Montana" where all the towns in Montana could be brought together? Take that a step further... "Team America" where the states are all brought together.... one more leap... "Team World" where each country has their version of "Team America". This is not a minor undertaking by any means, I know, but in the immortal words of the late Michael Jackson, change starts with the man (or woman) in the mirror.

That is my deep thought for the day....

This is a way for people in a community to step up and do something to improve their world in a way that is good for everyone. It is way overdue for communities to stop looking to the government to pay someone to do what we should be doing for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment